Thursday, September 5, 2013

My First Post!

76 days until I report to the MTC (missionary Training Center).  I am so excited to be devoting the next 18 months of my life to a full time mission. And in Tokyo too! For those of you who don’t know much about LDS missions or what we as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe I’ll be making a few sections of my blog dedicated to telling you all about that but until those are up and running I’ll just share a few things.

Who/ what is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
The LDS church is the official name of the religion more commonly known as the Mormon Church.  
What do I (as a Mormon) believe?
I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God and is mine (and your) Savior.  And that we are all children of our Heavenly Father who loves us and knows each and every one of us by name. He wants each of us to return to him and live with him some day. Through the atonement of Jesus Christ, all mankind may be saved and we are all able to return to our Heavenly Father.
In addition to the Bible, the Book of Mormon is the word of God. Both the Book of Mormon and the Bible stand as a testament of Jesus Christ. Through the power of God, the prophet, Joseph Smith, translated the Book of Mormon and helped to restore the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ back to the Earth.  
 What is a mission?
An LDS mission is a little different than what most people commonly think a mission is. In the LDS church young men and women, most under the age of 25, devote 18 to 24 months (18 for girls, 24 for young men) of their life to sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ.  They can be sent anywhere in the world! Missionaries pay for their own missions and give up school and work (and dating) to dedicate their lives to the Lord’s work and to inviting others to come unto Christ.

Although there is quite a lot of preparation that is put into going on a mission, what I find myself putting the most time into is thinking about what I am going to wear for the next 18 months.  As I've been preparing I've found that compiling the perfect wardrobe is a lot harder than I thought! When you’re only allowed eight to ten outfits and 3 pairs of shoes shopping really becomes a challenge!
I've searched and hunted the web for ALL the tips and tricks to building a wardrobe for sister missionaries. Well, needless to save I have had no luck. I find what look like ever so promising blogs where they give vague tips and somewhat helpful hints on where to get clothes.  And while pinterest is perfect for building your dream missionary wardrobe, in reality it hasn't been too much help.

So, I've decided to “document” my attempt to build the perfect sister missionary wardrobe. And hopefully I can help some future sister missionaries as well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment