Saturday, November 2, 2013

'Cus I'm Going to the Temple

Well, today was a crazy day! And I really wanted to share. I feel so lucky and blessed.
This weekend I am watching a family's two youngest kids while they are out of town. It's super fun. Today we woke up and it was decided that pancakes should be made for breakfast. While I was struggling to make said pancakes (me + any pan that isn't teflon = a big fat mess) I missed a call from my mother. I called her back to see what she needed. She was a bit distressed over the fact that our temple closes today for cleaning and doesn't open up again until after I will be in Utah. I haven't gone through the temple yet...so you can see the problem! I didn't know what she wanted me to do! I had kids that needed to be watched. I couldn't just leave them and run off to the temple. And I reaaally didn't want to leave them to someone else to watch. But, I had two options. Go to the temple today with my family OR go alone in Utah. Of course I chose option one! It's crazy how Heavenly Father helps things to fall right into place. My mother called the temple to see if I'd be able to go today. They said I could. I called an amazing Sister in from my home ward and asked if she could watch the kids. She could! So, I went to the temple today!
Heavenly Father knew what he was doing. After the kid's parents left, their dad came back in and told me that if I needed to have someone else watch the kids I could- do whatever I needed. I thought that was so strange. Why would I have someone else watch the kids if I'm suppose to be. Boy was he inspired!! This was on Wednesday. Temples were totally not on my mind. And going to the temple while I was watching someone else's children was not on the agenda. But, it turned out I needed to go today! And it was wonderful. I'm so grateful that I have been living in a way that allowed me to be able to go. Makes me think of the parable of the 10 virgins!  I was also a little apprehensive about going. I think Heavenly Father knew this. So, instead of me putting off going again and again, I had the need to go thrust upon me. There was no way I could get out of it this time. And I think He knew that was exactly what I needed to happen! To anyone who is preparing to go- don't worry! There is nothing you need to worry about. Chances are you will be going with people who love you and support you. And, even though you may not know anyone else there, they are all so excited for you too!

 I think it might be tradition to take a picture after going through the temple. Sadly, I don't have an actual picture from today. It was rainy and gross out. But here is the Palmyra temple! And I'm in there too.

For anyone who isn't LDS (Latter-day Saint) let me explain a couple of things. I'm you might be reading this and scratchy your head. Let me explain a few things:
First; Temples. When most people think of temples Buddhist temples or chanting and prayers pop into our minds. Right? Well, LDS temples are a little different. We have 140 temples worldwide and 29 more being built or about to be built. Only worthy members (someone who is keeping the commandments and has a testimony of the gospel) of our church are allowed to enter. And that isn't because we are trying to hide anything. You can learn all about temples right here and even see what some temples look like on the inside. In the temple we participate in activities (we call them ordinances) that we consider sacred. Because what takes place in the temple is special to us, and very important not everyone can come in. What I keep referring to as "going through the temple" is one of those ordinances. It is called the endowment. "The word endowenment means "gift" or "bestowal." As part of this ordinance, we are taight about the purpose of life, mission and Atonement of Jesus Christ, and Heavenly's Father's Plan for His children. We gain a glimpse of what it will be like to live in His presence as we feel the peaceful atmosphere of the temple." (I got that from here)  Another ordinances is sealings. Sealings are temple marriages. Husbands and wives can be sealed together and children can be sealed to their parents. This means that we can be a family forever. No "until death do you part." Who doesn't want that?? Baptisms for the dead is another ordinance that we do in the temple. Don't worry we do not baptize dead people! We believe that being baptized is a saving ordinance and something you can only do with a body. So, we are baptized in place/ or for those who have already died. Then, those up in heaven have the opportunity to accept the ordinance that has been performed for them.
Just because I love infographs... here is one comparing temples to one of our regular church buildings (or chapels as we call them). It tells a little about each too!

No comments:

Post a Comment