Tuesday, May 12, 2015

What's a monk's favorite drink?

11 May 2015 Kumagaya
From our Japanese barbeque
 This week felt really long. We had lots and lots and lots of finding time. Actually it feels like multiple weeks happened this week. But, it was good. Finding with Sister Kubota is really fun. She's a pro. 

Last night we met the elders and headed over to the house of someone they had met who was interested. Since she's a woman they can't teach her. So we get to! She was really sweet. We had a really great talk and we get to visit her later this week! As everyone was talking I had a wow moment. Here are four missionaries, all except me are 19 and 20, in Japan, speaking Japanese all from different places and different walks of life. We were united in the gospel and the power that came from that was really special. It was a really cool moment. 

Ok, I don't have much time...so this week in a paragraph. Ready, set GO: after our crazy Brazilian sports days on Monday we turned it down a few notches and went to an actual BBQ. Japanese Barbecues and American barbecues are very different. The Japanese one is definitely yummier. I sat with the old people and sang them American songs haha. They loved it. I did too.

We got to meet with our super awesome friends: Kobayashi San and Atsuko San twice this week. They are so nice. I love them already. And they are both on the verge of something big. I can feel it. They are looking for answers, and lucky for them, the gospel has them.

We went to a member’s house, almost an hour away, all ready to clean. She had us tie newspapers and card board together...probably took twenty minutes and then she says “ok we are done, let's go eat!” 

Friday We played some ping pong, talked a lot about family history. Saturday was a day full of eikaiwa. Kids eikaiwa was lots of fun. We did animals. We went around the table asking the kids what their favorite animal was. My favorite answer came from our new four year old student he said "ALL OF THEM!". After, we had regular eikaiwa. That's always funny but sadly, I can't remember anything so you'll just have to take my word for it. Saturday night we ate some yummy tonkatsu with Julia and then went home, completely exhausted. Oh! We also made cookies! The oven didn't work so we used the mircowave. 

Sunday we gave the cookies we'd made to all the women in the ward. HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! Church was really great. We are planning a luau for the end of June. I won't be there but the ward is getting excited. It should be really fun. We are gonna open it up to the community and invite Oyuzumi too! There will be hula and a haka (yes I know technically not Hawaiian...but they won't know the difference) and of course buta niku. pig. (ed. note: I have no idea what this is???).

After church we didn't have anything planned so we went finding. We had some really great encounters with people. I was really focusing on trying to find in faith. We saw miracles. We ran into a member, who was on her way to the Eki to pick up her daughter. Her daughter in not a member and she has had discussions with the missionaries before. So, we waited a few minutes and then got to have a really awesome discussion with her! It was so good. I was praying the whole time that I would know what to say, and I did. It was really good. 
We ended the evening by visiting a lady the elders had found. A am so o excited to get to know her better. She could recognize the spirit we had and I just know it is going to go somewhere. I started the email by talking about her and our meeting. 

This week there has been a big theme; Commandments. Something we hear all the time is that commandments are restricting  and not fair. People don't like being told what to do. Therefore they cannot become a member of this Church. I love talking about commandments. They say they are restricting and I say. They aren’t. They appear to be so and it’s hard. But, the freedom that comes from those commandments is like nothing else. The happiness that comes from them cannot be compared to anything else. And surprise, we are not forced to follow a single one of those commandments. We have agency. A gift that God gave us. We are free to choose. If we were being forced to follow commandments then we would not have agency, we would not have the freedom of choice. It is our choice to follow commandments. And every time we choose to follow a commandment we have just exercised that agency we have been given. We choose over and over to follow that commandment. And through those choices we are blessed. And we are happy. And we are free. When we choose not to follow commandments we may be happy. But, in order to keep that happiness, for it is fleeting, we have to choose not to follow that commandment again. And again. And again. And in so doing we have become a slave to disobeying that commandment. The only way to be happy is to do what God has told us not to. And he didn't tell us not to cus he wanted to be mean or bossy. He told us because he knows the source of true happiness.
 
I love telling those we teach that I've found that source of happiness. I've lived with and without it and I choose with. I choose to follow commandments. And I love promising them the same happiness I have. It's great! I absolutely love it. 

Alright that's all for now folks,
See you real soon
Love you!
Sister Molinari