Tuesday, January 28, 2014

I Made it to Nihon!

27 January 2014 Chiba, Japan

Hello everyone!

I think you are all sound asleep right now. We, however, are about to make dinner. Today marks my one week in Japan! (Editor's Note:This entry was received 3AM EST. That is about 5PM Japan Standard Time)

The plane ride here was pretty uneventful, minus the awful sinus infection I had. Landing was pretty rough for the first flight. But my connecting flight to Japan my face was fine. It was a miracle and a prayer answered. I slept most of the plane ride there. I had had great plans to study and work on my Japanese but...it did not happen. Anyway, as we landed in Japan I felt like I was coming home. It was an odd feeling to have since I've never stepped foot in Japan, but it just confirmed that this is where I am supposed to be right now!

Well, we get out of the plane, go through customs, and then I needed to use the bathroom. I think I am going to come back to the states with a hunch back! Everything is so low to the ground! And I need to bend over so far. The sinks looked like they were child height and the toilets where equally as short! But, the toilet seats are heated so I'm not complaining too much... After our bathroom break we all get our luggage and head out to our bus! Our mission president was waiting for us! Not too many people were thrilled about that. We all looked like a hot mess. But he told us he doesn't judge us based on our first day ha ha. So we put our luggage in a van and then climbed onto our bus. 

The minute I stepped on that bus I started feeling sick. SOOO sick. I rode the half hour from the airport to the mission home with my head in between my legs. We passed Disney Land, but I was too sick to look up. Well, Lammintaus Choro (editor’s note: choro is Elder), out of the kindness of his heart, offers me some Advil. He's convinced it cures everything. So, in a desperate attempt to stop the nausea I took it. Well, I stopped feeling sick. But, by the time we got to the mission home, I was tingly ALL over and the world was dancing around me. Eating was quite the out-of-body experience. You would think I would've learned by now that I should not take medicine. It just has a very strong affect on me. But no, I haven't. I'm sure I made quite the impression on my mission president and his wife.



So, we spent a few days at the mission home being trained. Then on Thursday we were assigned our new companions and our areas. I am in Chiba, our area is Oyumino! We are down in the south of Tokyo. It's much warmer here. And we are so close to the ocean it rarely snows! We are white washing our area! And as sister's we are opening it. They have never had sister missionaries before this transfer, and now they have 2 pairs! Oh, white-washing is when all new missionaries are put in an area.

My area is in the Midori Ward. It is marked just above the title of the map.
On Sunday we got to meet everyone in the ward. They are sooo fun! I couldn't understand much besides the topic of conversation, but they are all really nice to me! The ward members have been going out of their way to help us too! We got a brand new apartment and when we got here Thursday there was nothing in it! Nothing, except our futons. Side note: I LOVE futons. They are sooo comfortable. Members have been dropping of furniture and food for us. They are so great. And they are all soo excited to have sister missionaries in their ward. 

WE sat in on ward council and we all went around and introduced (or in my case tried to introduce) ourselves. The bishop said his favorite thing to do is make people laugh, but he isn’t very funny. The relief society president replied "that isn't true. Once he gave a talk and made two sisters laugh so hard they cried!" That was all in Japanese though...

WE teach English classes multiple times a night. That is probably my favorite thing to do right now. Our students are all ages and they are sooo funny! I was told over and over in the MTC that the Japanese are serious. But really they are so funny. All the ones we have met are so funny!

So here is what I hear every day:
"You are soooooo skeeneee"
"Youw eyez are soooo bigu"
And appearenlty I have a really cute nose too...

It's great! WE all bond over Disney Everyone here LOVES Disney. And we have met multiple people on the streets who have been married at Disney world. Mickey and Minnie were always present too.

Well, I love it here. It feels like home. I love the people, and eventually I'll be able to talk to them.

Love you all!
Sister Molinari

Here is my new address:
Sister Kirstin Molinari
Japan Tokyo Mission
4-25-12 Nishi-Ochiai
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
161-0031 Japan