Wednesday, January 22, 2014


Wednesday, 22 January 2014

This entry is from the editor, her father.

On Monday, January 20, we spoke with Sister Molinari while she was at the airport ready to begin a very long day's journey. She wasn't feeling very well. Not much sleep and the beginning of a sinus infection made for a very uncomfortable descent into LAX.  

They were all very excited; 25 Missionaries, all on the same flight, all gong to the same mission. There were many Japanese with them on the flight to Japan. It was a small preview of what lies ahead.

Their flight took nearly 11 hours. They left from L.A. at about 12:30 PM on Monday, flew north following the US coastline, then over the Aleutian Islands and Bering Sea, crossed the international date line, followed south along the cold coastline of far eastern Russia and the northern islands of Japan. They arrived in Tokyo on Tuesday at about 4:30 PM! 

I followed the flight progress for most of the day and most of the flight except for the final hour and a half. I checked in the middle of the night to see that the flight had ended with a safe landing ahead of schedule. So we assumed they made it safely. And then you wait for a day.

Early this morning, we received an email from the mission office informing us of their safe arrival. The mission president and his wife met them at the airport, fed them, visited briefly and then sent them all to bed for a much needed rest.

President and Sister Budge with "Morinari" Shemai

Today, which has most likely already happened, they received training and meet their new companions. Tokyo is 14 hours ahead of us, eastern standard time. As I write this at about 8:30 AM, it is 10:30 PM in Tokyo. They should all be in bed at their new assignments, in their new apartments, with their new companions, in a new country, with (what seems like) a new language. It is quite overwhelming when you first arrive.

It has been about 50 degrees and sunny in Tokyo this week. Here in Rochester, NY it is minus 16 degrees this morning and, we can see the same sun! It is actually quite pretty here right now. The sky is clear and because it is so cold, the moisture in the air is crystallizing and sparkling in the rays of sun light. It looks kind of magical!

Preparation day (P-day) for Sister Molinari is on Monday. We don't expect to hear anything more from her until then. I believe that will be Sunday for us, since they are a day ahead of us. She will be able to tell us about her new companion and where in Japan she is assigned.

The mission office sent pictures as evidence of a safe arrival. Kirstin will love these when she sees them!

Morinari Shemai in Tokyo after a long day of flying

The office included a note regarding mail and packages and the address. They recommend sending all mail and packages via US Postal Service (USPS) or the local postal service in the country you are from. It is easier to forward them to the missionaries after they are received by the office. 

Sister Molinari
Japan Yokyo Mission
4-25-12 Nishi-Ochiai
Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo-to
161-0031 Japan 

Missionaries LOVE to receive mail, but have very little time to respond to letters. They can only write on their P-day, in addition to doing laundry, cleaning their apartments, grocery shopping, emailing (reading and writing) and any sight-seeing they might want to do. Please don't feel bad if you don't hear directly from her. There is a significant feeling of guilt associated with not writing and responding to the letters received, but there simply isn't enough time to write to everyone. Read about her here or in the general email she sends out and know that she is writing to YOU. Thank you.

Stay tuned for more adventures!