Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Happy December!

3 December 2014 Sakado

I love December. Especially in Saitama. It's cold and rains a lot BUT the leaves are changing beautiful colors, there are still flowers blooming and best of all there is NO SNOW. Who is happy? Yup, that's right, this sister missionary. 

This week we were so busy I don't even know what we did. Oh boy. Remembering things is so hard these days. The days blur into weeks and the weeks into months. Time is flying by. 

This week we dedicated a day to less-active hunting. We biked over an hour away, in the rain. I was sooo cold! I couldn't feel my hands by the end of the day. And we didn't really have much luck. 2 less actives had moved. One had died. And the only one we actually got to meet just didn't really feel like coming to church. I think she might come to church soon though...maybe just for fear that, if she does not, I will reappear on her doorstep.

As we were talking to her I just really wanted to testify powerfully to her about something she needed to hear. But nothing was coming to mind. So instead, I just gave her one of my looks. I think that worked just as well. It was a combination of what you're telling me is really sad and I know you know this is still true. It made her a little nervous. 

We got to end the night really nicely. We had a mogi lesson with the Nohagi family. They are the best missionary family ever! They have two children preparing to go on missions and the parents are always willing to doseki. They invite the missionaries over for dinner all the time and every now and then Nohagi shimai drops off treats at our apartment.

Anyways, back to the mogi lesson. We had dinner and then did a practice restoration lesson in Japanese. Honestly, it wasn't going to well. And then, probably at the low point of the lesson, Brother Nohagi asked us how we got our testimony of Joseph smith. Sister hall looked at me and so I told them. And thankfully, it changed the direction of the lesson.

I've been a member of this church my whole life and I think I always accepted that Joseph smith was a prophet, that he actually saw our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ and that he translated the Book of Mormon through the power of God. But, I've also had confirmation for myself that those things are true. That was a little hard to explain in Japanese so I read out of the introduction in the Book of Mormon.

My favorite pat of the Book of Mormon is before it even begins! It reads "Concerning this record the Prophet Joseph Smith said: “I told the brethren that the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” I read this in nihongo to the Nohagi's and as I neared the end I started crying.

I know this is true. I know it is true because I have put it to the test and have seen the results. And if Joseph Smith was willing to give up his life for this book and the gospel it must be something really special. He could have so easily said "just kidding" and walked away. But he didn't because he knew it was true. He knew what he saw and he believed in it. And I do to. It's why I'm in Japan.

Missions are hard. They are a lot of fun too. But hard. And if I didn't know this was true, I would be home. Because it would not be worth all the hard I've experienced. Living the gospel has changed my life, I wouldn't be who I am today without it. And I'm so grateful for that. So, I needed to share it. 

I left my planner at home..so I don't remember what else we did...we had lots of lessons and our investigators are slowly progressing. It is amazing to watch as people, apply the gospel in their lives. Change. Little by little, but change none the less. They are happier. More full of hope. More full of love. They have a twinkle in their eye. Maybe they won't ever get baptized, but, they have come closer to Christ. They have his love. And to me, that is success. 

Today was temple p-day! I got to see my beloved Dopp shimai. I love her so much! I’m so grateful she was my companion in the MTC. She is an amazing missionary and a wonderful example to me. I'm so lucky!

This week while riding the trains we found two people who are going to come to church on Sunday! One lady lives by a church and has always wondered what it would be like so we invited her to ours! She plans on coming! And then the other lady is from Korea and is Christian! I think she plans to start coming every week. Both were miracles. 

Ok that is all for this week. I’m sick...so my brain isn't quite working right. Having a stuffy nose directly connects to how well your brain works. I'm convinced.  

Love you all! 

Sister Molinari

P.S.

This is the new Christmas video we have been showing everyone! Well...we show it in Japanese but...take a look!